T Cell Manufacturing
T cells exert multiple functions that are critical for immune responses, and these properties can be harnessed and redirected by a variety of immunotherapy strategies. CAR-T cells and TCR transgenic T cells are designed to target specific tumor antigens and to respond with anti-tumor activities. This may be cytotoxic activity directed at the tumor cells, secretion of cytokines that support local immune responses, or development of long-term anti-tumor immunity.
Learn more below about our T cell manufacturing capabilities or contact our Custom Services team for requests tailored exactly to what you need.
Isolation and Cell Culture for T Cells
Expand T cell cultures from PBMCs or purified CD3+ PBMCs with our ProDots™ proteins, ExCellerate™ media, and Cloudz™ cell activation kit. These culture tools are optimized for use with each other. We offer directly comparable RUO and GMP grades for seamless transition from research to manufacturing.
- Custom GMP antibodies for cell selection from R&D Systems
- T cell marker antibodies to confirm selection by flow cytometry from R&D Systems
- Custom antibody conjugation with biotin or fluorochromes
- GMP ProDots proteins are formulated as dissolvable spheres enclosed inside sterile, weldable bags for closed processing cytokine addition.
- Animal-free GMP proteins are produced in dedicated controlled-access laboratories to prevent potential contamination by animal components or byproducts.
- GMP small molecules promote directed differentiation.
Cell Culture Media
- ExCellerate human T cell expansion media is serum-free and xeno-free for the expansion of CD8 alpha+ T cells from human PBMCs or purified CD3+ T cells.
- Custom GMP media can be packaged in bags for direct welding into closed system processes.
Cell Activation Kits
- The GMP Cloudz human T cell activation kit is based on dissolvable CD3/CD28 microspheres for >50-fold expansion of CD25+CD69+ T cells from PBMCs.
T Cell Expansion and Stimulation
GMP ProDots Proteins are pre-aliquoted, lyophilized, and instantly dissolvable spheres of animal-free GMP cytokines or growth factors. They are conveniently packaged into single-use bags for easy incorporation into closed-system processes. Custom created options can be developed to precisely fit into a specific system.
Genome Engineering for T Cells
We offer solutions for both non-viral and virus-based gene editing. Our TcBusterTM technology, powered by R&D Systems, is a non-viral transposon system that provides stable integration of your gene of interest (GOI) into any cell type. Our in-house Process Development Services can streamline any gene modified workflow.
TcBuster Gene Transfer System
- Improved integration rates compared to traditional methods
- Rapid generation of transgenic mammalian cells with stable transgene expression
- Use is not restricted by licensing
- Does not provoke anti-viral immune responses
Contract Development and Manufacturing at R&D Systems
- ISO7 cleanrooms for manufacturing GMP-grade engineered cells or processing Phase I/II trial samples
- Advance to clinical testing in 4 months
- Learn more about GMP CDMO Process Development Services
Vector Characterization with Instruments by ProteinSimple
- MauriceTM cIEF systems analyze the charge heterogeneity of your viral vector for stability and identity.
- Simple WesternTM systems monitor virus capsids during purification.
- Learn more about Vector Characterization
Learn how our TcBuster technology can assist with you with Therapeutic Genome Engineering using T cells.
See the Data: CAR Insertion Into Primary T Cells
T Cell Characterization Using Various Bio-Techne Brands
Characterize your cells at every manufacturing stage to ensure a robust process. Confirm that they exhibit the correct phenotype and their purity meets your requirements. Our extensive selection of premium reagents and instruments allows you to quickly analyze cell surfaces and secretory profiles and to screen for residual contaminants.
- T cell marker antibodies
- Flow cytometry panel builder
- Immune checkpoint blockade antibodies to confirm knockdowns
- Fluorescent-lableled proteins for direct ligand-based cell analysis
- Multi-color flow cytometry kits
- Single-Cell Westerns analyze heterogeneity of cell type, activation status, and gene transfer efficiency
Cell Function and Potency
- Micro-Flow ImagingTM characterizes and quantitates residual activation beads and protein aggregates
- Simple WesternTM detects process-related impurities
- Learn more about Contaminant Screening
Tissue Biopsy and T Cell Localization
T Cell Analysis
Confirmation of chimeric antigen receptor expression. Human CD4+ CD8+ T cells were transduced with a CD19-CAR (left) or not transduced (right). Cells were stained with recombinant human CD19 Fc Chimera Atto 488 protein to detect chimeric antigen receptor expression by flow cytometry.
Cell culture analysis with Micro-Flow Imaging (MFI) discriminates between T cells and residual activation beads based on equivalent circular diameter. The inset shows images of particulates in the sample as captured by MFI. The histogram shows resolution of live cells from activation beads and the ability of MFI to quantitate the number of beads remaining in the sample.
Our custom services team is committed to developing optimized solutions to streamline your T cell manufacturing processes. We will work with you to develop and deliver reagents, culture media, and immunoassays that meet your requirements.
- Our Cloudz cell activation technology by R&D Systems can be customized with a breadth of ligands to drive your specific T cell expansion process.
- Our GMP ProDots proteins can be custom packaged for your required cytokine mass in each sterile bag.
- Our R&D Systems Custom Antibody Services can optimize your cell selection and phenotyping with GMP antibodies, recombinant antibody engineering, and monoclonal panel development.
For inquiries regarding specialized T cell services, speak with an expert at Custom Services for Cell & Gene Therapies.
Bio-Techne believes in the power of partnerships. We have joined with Fresenius Kabi and Wilson Wolf to bring you ScaleReady™ for immune cell therapy manufacturing.
ScaleReady brings cell and gene therapies to life by streamlining manufacturing processes across cell culture, cell activation and expansion, gene editing, and cell processing.
Learn More at ScaleReady.com
Effective immunotherapies can provide anti-tumor activity following the expression of chimeric antigen receptors (CAR) in T cells. CARs contain an extracellular tumor antigen-binding region (e.g. an scFv) and an intracellular region with at least one stimulatory domain. CAR T cells become activated following interactions with their cognate tumor cell-specific antigens. Alternatively, T cells can be engineered to express intact T cell receptors (TCR) with the desired antigen specificity. Generation of T cells with CARs or alternative TCRs is accomplished by genomic engineering with transposons (i.g. TcBuster), viral transduction, or nuclease systems such as CRISPR-Cas9. More complex genome engineering may additionally downregulate checkpoint molecules that would otherwise transmit immunosuppressive signaling. With T cells playing an active role in the lymphatic system, T cell immunotherapy may be able to induce anti-tumor responses and to limit immune tolerance at the same time. Selection of the optimum T cell subset(s) for T cell immunotherapy also contributes to the anti-tumor efficacy of adoptive cell therapies. CD4+ helper T cells, CD8+ cytotoxic T cells, central memory cells, and T memory stem cells exhibit distinct effector and memory functions as well as persistence in vivo.
Not doing GMP work on T cells? Learn more about our RUO products for T cells at R&D Systems, a Bio-Techne company.
Luminex is a registered trademark of Luminex Corporation