Refer to the product datasheet for complete product details.
Briefly, human, mouse, or rat MSCs are differentiated into adipocytes or osteocytes using the following in vitro differentiation procedure:
- Culture multipotent cells of interest
- Induce adipogenic or osteogenic differentiation using media supplements
- Evaluate differentiation using a mature phenotype marker antibody and fluorescent ICC
For use with Human StemXVivo® Osteogenic Supplement (Catalog # CCM008), Mouse/Rat Osteogenic Supplement (Catalog # CCM009), or Human/Mouse/Rat StemXVivo® Adipogenic Supplement (Catalog # CCM011).
Reagents supplied in the Human/Mouse/Rat StemXVivo® Osteogenic/Adipogenic Base Media (Catalog # CCM007):
- 250 mL of StemXVivo® Osteogenic/Adipogenic Base Media
Other Supplies Required
- Human StemXVivo® Osteogenic Supplement (Catalog # CCM008) or Mouse/Rat Osteogenic Supplement (Catalog # CCM009)
- Human/Mouse/Rat StemXVivo® Adipogenic Supplement (Catalog # CCM011)
- Penicillin-Streptomycin-Glutamate (100X)
- 10 cm tissue culture plates
- 15 mL centrifuge tubes
- Pipettes and pipette tips
- Serological pipettes
- 37 °C and 5% CO2 incubator
- Inverted microscope
- 2 °C to 8 °C refrigerator
- 37 °C water bath
This protocol has been tested using bone marrow- and/or adipose tissue-derived MSCs. If using a different tissue source or cell line, the protocol below may need to be optimized.
Plate 4.2 x 103 MSCs/cm2 in StemXVivo® Osteogenic/Adipogenic Base Media.
Culture cells to 50-70% confluency.
Replace the medium with StemXVivo® Osteogenic Differentiation Medium to induce osteogenesis.
Every 3-4 days, replace with fresh Osteogenic Differentiation Medium.
After 14-21 days, osteocytes can be harvested and analyzed.
Plate 2.1 x 104 MSCs/cm2 in StemXVivo® Osteogenic/Adipogenic Base Media.
Culture cells to 100% confluency.
Replace the medium in with Adipogenic Differentiation Medium to induce adipogenesis.
Every 3-4 days, replace with fresh Adipogenic Differentiation Medium.
After 14-21 days, adipocytes can be harvested and analyzed.