Epidermal growth factor (EGF) is a small, potent
growth factor capable of inducing cell proliferation, differentiation, and
survival. EGF is the founding member of the EGF family that also includes
TGF-alpha, amphiregulin (AR), betacellulin (BTC), epiregulin (EPR), heparin‑binding
EGF‑like growth factor (HB‑EGF), epigen, and the neuregulins (NRG)-1 through -6
(1). Members of The EGF family are characterized by a shared structural motif,
the EGF‑like domain, which contains three intramolecular disulfide bonds that
are formed by six similarly spaced, conserved cysteine residues (2). These
disulfide bonds are essential for proper protein conformation and receptor
binding. All EGF family members are synthesized as type I transmembrane
precursor proteins that may contain several EGF domains in the extracellular
region. The mature proteins are released from the cell surface by regulated
proteolysis (1). The full length EGF protein is 1207 amino acids (aa) (EGF
precursor) containing nine EGF domains and nine LDLR class B repeats. However,
the mature protein is much smaller, only 53 aa, and is generated by proteolytic
cleavage of the EGF domain proximal to the transmembrane region (3). EGF is
well conserved across mammals with mature human EGF 70% identical to mature
mouse and rat EGF. Physiologically, EGF is found in various body fluids,
including blood, milk, urine, saliva, seminal fluid, pancreatic juice, cerebrospinal
fluid, and amniotic fluid (4). EGF is a high affinity ligand of the EGF
receptor (ErbB). Four ErbB (HER) family receptor tyrosine kinases including
EGFR/ErbB1, ErbB2, ErbB3 and ErbB4, mediate responses to EGF family members
(5). EGF binding induces dimerization of the EGF receptor resulting in
activation of the protein tyrosine kinase signaling pathway. These receptors
undergo a complex pattern of ligand-induced homo- or hetero-dimerization to
transduce EGF family signals (6, 7). EGF binds ErbB1 and depending on
the context, induces the formation of homodimers or heterodimers containing
ErbB2. Dimerization results in autophosphorylation of the receptor at specific
tyrosine residues to create docking sites for a variety of signaling molecules
(5, 8). Biological activities ascribed to EGF include epithelial
development, angiogenesis, inhibition of gastric acid secretion, fibroblast
proliferation, and colony formation of epidermal cells in culture.
- Harris, R.C. et al. (2003) Exp. Cell Res. 284:2.
- Carpenter, G. and Cohen, S. (1990) J. Biol. Chem. 265:7709.
- Bell, G.I. et al. (1986) Nucl. Acids Res. 14:8427.
- Carpenter, G. and Zendegui, J.G. (1986) Exp. Cell Res. 164:1.
- Jorissen, R.N. et al. (2003) Exp. Cell Res. 284:31.
- Gamett, D.C. et al. (1997) J. Biol. Chem. 272:12052.
- Qian, X. et al. (1994) Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 91:1500.
- Qian, X. et al. (1999) J. Biol. Chem. 274:574.
Epidermal Growth Factor
HOMG4, URG, Urogastrone
R&D Systems, a Bio-Techne Brand's GMP proteins are produced according to relevant sections of the following documents: USP Chapter 1043, Ancillary Materials for Cell, Gene and Tissue-Engineered Products and Eu. Ph. 5.2.12, Raw Materials of Biological Origin for the Production of Cell-based and Gene Therapy Medicinal Products.
R&D Systems' quality focus includes:
- Manufactured and tested under an ISO 9001:2015 and ISO 13485:2016 certified quality system
- Documented processes and QA control of documentation and process changes
- Personnel training programs
- Raw material testing and vendor qualification/monitoring
- Fully validated equipment, processes and test methods
- Equipment calibration schedules using a computerized calibration program
- Facility maintenance, safety programs and pest control
- Material review process for variances
- Monitoring of stability over product shelf-life
R&D Systems strives to provide our customers with the analytical characteristics of each product so that customers may determine whether our products are appropriate for their research. The Certificate of Analysis provided contains the following lot specific information:
- N-terminal amino acid analysis, SDS-PAGE analysis, mass spectrometry results, and endotoxin level (as determined by LAL assay) performed on each bulk QC lot, not on individual bottlings of each QC lot
- Post-bottling lot-specific bioassay results (compliance with an established range) and results of microbial testing according to USP
- Host Cell Protein testing performed by ELISA
Mycoplasma testing by ribosomal RNA hybridization assay
Additional testing and documentation requested by the customer can be arranged at an additional cost.
Production records and facilities are available for examination by appropriate personnel on-site at R&D Systems in Minneapolis, Minnesota USA.
R&D Systems sells GMP grade products for preclinical or clinical ex vivo
use. They are not for in vivo
use. Please read the following End User Terms prior to using this product.
Animal-Free Manufacturing Conditions
Our dedicated controlled-access animal-free laboratories ensure that at no point in production are the products exposed to potential contamination by animal components or byproducts. Every stage of manufacturing is conducted in compliance with R&D Systems' stringent Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs). Production and purification procedures use equipment and media that are confirmed animal-free.
- All molecular biology procedures use animal-free media and dedicated labware.
- Dedicated fermentors are utilized in committed animal-free areas.
- Protein purification columns are animal-free.
- Bulk proteins are filtered using animal-free filters.
- Purified proteins are stored in animal-free containers in a dedicated cold storage room.
Please read our complete Animal-Free Statement
- Low Endotoxin Level.
- No impairment of biological activity.
- High quality product obtained under stringent conditions.
Product Specific Notices
for Recombinant Human EGF GMP Protein, CF
The End User is aware that R&D Systems, Inc. sells GMP products for preclinical or clinical ex vivo use and not for in vivo use. The End User further agrees, as a condition of the sale of R&D Systems' GMP products that: a) the End User will not use this GMP Product in any procedure wherein the product may be directly or indirectly administered to humans, unless the End User has obtained, or prior to their use will have obtained, an Investigational New Drug (IND) exemption from the FDA and will use the product only in accordance with the protocols of such IND and of the Institutional Review Board overseeing the proposed research, or b) the End User will use the products outside of the United States in accordance with the protocols of research approved by the Institutional Review Board or authorized ethics committee and regulatory agencies to which the End User is subject to in their territory.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
The following limitation applies to R&D Systems' warranty and liability for damages: All products are warranted to meet R&D Systems' published specifications when used under normal laboratory conditions.
R&D SYSTEMS DOES NOT MAKE ANY OTHER WARRANTY OR REPRESENTATION WHATSOEVER, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, WITH RESPECT TO ITS PRODUCTS. IN PARTICULAR, R&D SYSTEMS DOES NOT MAKE ANY WARRANTY OF SUITABILITY, NONINFRINGEMENT, MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR ANY PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
NOTWITHSTANDING ANY OTHER PROVISIONS OF THESE TERMS AND/OR ANY OTHER AGREEMENT BETWEEN R&D SYSTEMS AND PURCHASER FOR THE PURCHASE OF THE PRODUCTS, R&D SYSTEMS' TOTAL LIABILITY TO PURCHASER ARISING FROM OR IN RELATION TO THESE TERMS, AN AGREEMENT BETWEEN THE PARTIES OR THE PRODUCTS, WHETHER ARISING IN CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE TOTAL AMOUNT PAID BY PURCHASER TO R&D SYSTEMS FOR THE APPLICABLE PRODUCTS. IN NO EVENT WILL R&D SYSTEMS BE LIABLE FOR THE COST OF PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS.
Full details of R&D Systems' Terms and Conditions of Sale can be found online at: RnDSystems.com/Legal.
For preclinical, or clinical ex vivo use