Natural Killer (NK) Cells
NK cells hold significant promise for the development of novel immunotherapies, and these therapies could show greater efficacy than traditional approaches. When used as an advanced therapy medicinal product (ATMP), NK cells can be redirected to kill a specific tumor cell or virus-infected cell population. The balance of activating and inhibitory NK cell receptor signaling can also be manipulated with the goal of enhancing cell activation. These engineered NK cells are then expanded ex vivo for use as personalized adoptive cell therapies.
View all our products and services for Cell and Gene Therapy.
If you are doing developmental work, view research grade products for NK Cell Isolation, Culture, and Identification.
Isolation and Cell Culture for NK Cells
Isolation and Cell Culture for NK Cells
Get away from using irradiated feeder cells for your NK expansions. Adopt a simplified and cleaner process. Our ProDots™ Proteins, ExCellerate™ Media, and Cloudz™ Cell Activation Kits are optimized for use together. We offer directly comparable RUO and GMP grades for seamless transition from research to manufacturing.
- Custom GMP Antibodies for cell selection
- NK cell marker antibodies to confirm selection by flow cytometry
- Custom antibody conjugation with biotin or fluorochromes
Cytokines and Growth Factors
- GMP ProDots Proteins are formulated as dissolvable spheres enclosed inside sterile, weldable bags for closed processing cytokine addition.
- Animal-Free GMP Proteins are produced in dedicated controlled-access laboratories to prevent potential contamination by animal components or byproducts.
- GMP small molecules promote somatic cell reprogramming to iPSC prior to NK cell differentiation.
Cell Culture Media
- ExCellerate Human NK Cell Expansion Media is serum-free and xeno-free for the expansion of CD56+ cells from human PBMCs or purified CD3+ cell-depleted PBMCs.
- Custom GMP media can be packaged in bags for direct welding into closed system processes.
Cell Expansion Kits
NK cells were expanded from human PBMCs by treatment with the Cloudz NK Cell Kit along with ExCellerate NK Cell Media and human IL-2, IL-12, IL-18, and IL-21 proteins. Cells were evaluated at Days 0, 7, 9, and 14 for fold expansion.
This video shows how GMP ProDots Proteins simplify cell and gene therapy manufacturing.
This symposium discusses reagents and organoids for studying the innate immune response in COVID-19 including methods for profiling NK cells and the cytokine storm.
Complex genetic modification confers precise functional activity but can be difficult to perform in NK cells. Why not let our in-house experts support your program? We offer solutions for both non-viral and virus-based gene editing as well as Process Development Services. We specialize in complex gene knock-outs/knock-ins, conditional knock-outs, and site-specific genome engineering.
Genome Engineering with Any Platform
- TcBuster™ Gene Transfer System is transposon-based for improved integration rates compared to traditional methods
- CRISPR-Cas9 gene editing methods
- Generation of high frequency gene knock-outs, knock-ins, or multiplex edits
- Small molecule Viral Transduction Enhancers
- ISO7 cleanrooms for manufacturing GMP-grade engineered cells or processing Phase I/II trial samples
- Advance to clinical testing in 4 months
Vector Characterization with Automated Instrumentation
- Maurice ™ cIEF Systems analyze the charge heterogeneity of your virus vector for stability and identity.
- Simple Western™ Systems for automated Western blots to monitor virus capsids during purification.
- Simple Plex™ immunoassays for viral vector immunotitration
Mechanism of action for the TcBuster Gene Transfer System.
New clean room facilities with 620 square ft, 2 clean rooms, 2 development labs, and 1 in-house quality control lab.
NK Cell Characterization
NK Cell Characterization
Characterize your cells at every manufacturing stage to ensure a robust process. Confirm that they exhibit the correct phenotype and their purity meets your requirements. Our extensive selection of premium reagents and instruments allows you to quickly analyze cell surfaces and secretory profiles and to screen for residual contaminants.
- NK cell marker antibodies including NCR, NKG2, Nectin, and KIR receptor families in addition to NCAM-1/CD56
- Flow cytometry panel builder
- Immune checkpoint blockade antibodies to confirm knock-downs of negative signaling molecules
- Fluorescent-labeled proteins for direct ligand-based cell analysis
- Single-Cell Westerns analyze heterogeneity of cell type, activation status, and gene transfer efficiency.
Cell Function and Potency
- Luminex® assays multiplex key biomarkers to confirm phenotype
- ELISA kits quantify cytokine production
- Simple Plex™ automates multi-analyte NK cell secretion profile analysis in 90 minutes, including IFN-g, TNF-a, and dozens more.
- FlowX™ Human NK Cell Killing Flow Cytometry Kit Coming Soon!
- Micro-Flow Imaging™ characterizes and quantitates residual activation beads and protein aggregates.
- Simple Western detects process-related impurities.
Tissue Biopsy and NK Cell Localization
- Good Clinical Laboratory Practice (GCLP)-compliant RNAscope™ ISH analysis for clinical and preclinical studies
Rigorously qualified flow cytometry antibodies distinguish NK cell subsets according to multiple NCR, NKG2, Nectin, and KIR receptor family members. Figures show clear differences in NK receptor expression within the NK cell population.
Single-Cell Western analysis of NK cell culture showing heterogeneity of CD3 and CD56 expression. Each dot corresponds to one cell. Dots in this figure represent single cells, clustered in distinct populations based on these two surface markers. Read More
Find Antibodies for NK Cell Identification
Explore our interactive cell marker tool to view the cell surface and intracellular markers most used to identify NK cells. All markers are linked to R&D SystemsTM antibodies to make finding your antibody easy.
Visit R&D Systems to Explore Our Interactive Cell Markers Tool
Our custom services team is committed to developing optimized solutions to streamline your NK cell manufacturing processes. We will work with you to develop and deliver reagents, cell culture media, and immunoassays that meet your requirements.
Our Cloudz Cell Activation technology can be customized with a breadth of ligands to drive your specific NK cell expansion process.
Our GMP ProDots Proteins can be custom packaged for your preferred cytokine mass in each sterile bag.
Our Custom Antibody Services will optimize your cell selection and cell phenotyping with GMP antibodies, recombinant antibody engineering, and monoclonal panel development.
For any additional inquiries regarding specialized NK cell services, speak with an expert at Custom Services for Cell & Gene Therapies.
Natural Killer (NK) cells are innate lymphoid cells (ILC) that target and lyse cancer cells and virus-infected cells. Unlike T cells, NK cells recognize their targets in an antigen-independent manner. They can also enhance antibody-dependent cell-mediated cytotoxicity (ADCC) and complement-dependent cytotoxicity (CDC). NK cell-mediated target cell lysis is regulated by the balance between activating and inhibitory receptors which are coexpressed at the cell surface. Inhibitory receptors function as checkpoint molecules and limit the extent of NK cell activation. Altered expression of NK cell receptor ligands on target cells can result in either suppressed or enhanced triggering of NK cell cytotoxicity.
NK cell cytolytic activity can be increased by controlling the function of activating and inhibitory receptors. This may overcome in vivo immune evasion and improve the efficacy of NK cell-based immunotherapies. NK cells can be engineered to express chimeric antigen receptors (CAR) to enable targeting specific cells and triggering NK cell-mediated lysis of the targeted cells. In addition, NK cell engineering may up- or downregulate surface receptors to modulate downstream signaling, resulting in an overall increase in NK cell activation.
Luminex is a registered trademark of Luminex Corporation.